SU-76i Command Tank
The SU-76i, not to be confused with the Russian SU-76M, utilised captured German Pz Kpfw III or StuG III chassis and converted them to mount the 76.2mm ZIS-5 gun. Around 200 captured chassis, many from Stalingrad, were convered at Factory No38 by adding an enclosed superstructure. These vehicles were supplied to tank and self propelled units in the latter half of 1943. The Su-76i "Komandir" was a command vehicle with a raised commander cupola to improve observation.