ARL-44 French Heavy Tank
The ARL-44 was designed towards the end of WWII and entered service in 1949. The ARL-44 design was originally for a 30ton vehicle mounting a 75mm main gun. This was soon replaced with the 90mm CA modele 1939 S and the Schneider 90mm. After a single prototype was produced the 90mm DCA naval AA gun was selected as the main armament and the tank was fitted with a German Maybach HL230 600hp engine. The design was initially unreliable and prone to breakdowns. The ARL-44 was superseded by the M47.